Piano, after school activities and being a housewife
Last Friday the piano we bought in Hanoi was delivered. We meant to bring our own from DC but our shipment was overweight so we either had to pay $1,400 or pull stuff out. We chose the later and didn’t have a piano so we went to a shop recommended by a colleague and ordered one. It is a used Korean brand, Samick, and cost around $1,100. It would cost more to rent monthly for two years. Hopefully, we can sell it back when we leave. For now, both kids, especially Zey, was happy to start playing again. He truly enjoys playing without us having to prompt regularly. Sometimes, he needed some reminders if he was obsessed with something else but usually he just played whatever song he was learning in DC. Their piano teacher, Mathias, was truly amazing, motivating kids to play. Zey learnt from him for five years. He also learnt from some video games by watching over and over.
This week both kids started their piano lesson at the UNIS as after school activity. We will see how this works out. We bought this piano from a gentleman who also comes and gives piano lessons at home. So if piano lessons at their school doesn’t work out, I have a back up plan. I love back up plans. Don’t you?
This week they also started other after school activities. Khin is in two sports classes and one cooking class a week. Zey is in a computer class once a week. Zey also practices soccer twice a week and their games will begin sometimes this month. Although I wanted Zey to continue practicing karate, I wasn’t sure if I could add one more thing that would require me to shuffle around once I start work.
Besides obsessing with the kids, I am not busy. We hired a housekeeper last week and I no longer had to take care of the housework. I will be busy again when our shipments come. I spend my days shopping for food, getting weekly massages (around $10-15 for an hour massage), learning to play guitar (my fingers hurt), planning trips, and occasionally working in the house like organizing this and that. I used to pretend to clean the house for two weeks. It was a lot of work for little reward. I also attend briefing, gatherings for coffees and lunches at various groups and places, and hang out with other ladies. Although I have nothing substantive to show for, my days are spent. I cannot deny that I am happy - being a housewife - but I know my mood will change and eventually I want to go back to work. So I am enjoying my leisure time. You know I watched Downton Abbey and the characters didn’t work. Not sure how they did it but let’s see if my happiness with leisure time can last for six more weeks.
Comments
Post a Comment