Interview, Ramen Museum and Green Peace

Searching for a job in a country where you speak the language is time-consuming at best if the economy was good. But, if you were to look for job in the US now, I am sure it is stressful. Looking for a job in Japan is equally stressful because Japanese economy is not doing well. Plus, the inability to conduct business in Japanese, I have very little chance of getting a job here. Don't forget it's financial crisis that caused the downturn, and the ex-Lehman Brothers and Bern Stearns bankers are also searching for jobs in the field that I just started to work in. With the reality in check, I decided to try my luck within the US embassy in Tokyo as an EFM (Eligible Family Member -- DOS has many acronyms and I finally am familiar enough to apply for a job there). There are about 25 positions available to spouses who are under chief-of-mission (ambassador). How many spouses? I don't have the exact numbers but my guesstimate is about 100 or more. Tokyo is a big embassy with many diplomats plus 11 other agencies and departments like Treasury and Agriculture etc. My point is it's very competitive. There, I come in, a little Burmese girl. Did I tell you that many (everywhere we go) assumed we met in Burma. I suppose it's a natural assumption given that Rob's a diplomat. Still, I come from Burma, and other assumptions come along as a package. Can I change their opinions of me in half an hour interview? With all the smile, confidence and persuasion that I can do the job well if not better. I don't know. So I went for an interview for a CLO coordinator position (Community Liaison Office) on Friday afternoon. First time interviewing in the US embassy where I was questioned by six officers. SIX. I never had that experience so I was a little nervous but I still smiled and managed to make jokes and explain what I could do. I felt quite positive. Would it translate to a job? I will find out in a few weeks.




After my little adventure in Tokyo on Friday, we stayed home the whole day on Saturday because it was raining, and because I wanted to work on my computer and Rob wanted to study. But we decided to go out for a dinner at the Ramen Museum which is about 35 minutes drive. The place is set like the 50s and 60s era Japan, with Ramen restaurants and other shops all over. The museum part of it could be more interesting if we could read Japanese. Still, the soups were delicious and the atmosphere was lively (nigiyaka in Japanese). Zey got to ride on an old motorbike and we had a great time! Here's a link to video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHJ-KN8UGo

Then we drove back home for another 35 minutes, put the kids to bed and started chatting in our bedroom. Then he suggested we go to a neighborhood bar (we have been meaning to go there, just two of us). So at 10.30 at night, we got dressed and walked for two minutes to the bar called "Green and Peace." Rob had the most delicious Japanese whisky called "Echo" (they say oishi, which means delicious, but I don't know how to describe the taste of a drink in English). Rob loves the bar. It has a TV showing skiing, snowboarding in Canada and Hokkaido. The owners, a young couple in their 30s, are friendly, and the husband and Rob have a plan to surf together in summer. The owners love Patagonia, North Face, 60s & 70s punk, rock music, hippie culture and so on. That's why the bar is called "Green Peace". So we ended up talking amongst ourselves and with the owners in a mixture of Japanese and Gairaigo (loaned words from foreign countries). After two drinks each, we came home happy that we finally decided to go out together at night. Just two of us.

Comments