We walked to many places at the beginning as we didn’t have the car or bicycles. Homes super market is about 10 minutes walk from our house. It’s like Home Depot, Target and Safeway together. On the second floor, it has furniture. We liked the rocking chair but it was over $1500 so we didn’t buy it. But we had a great time talking to a salesman without understanding much of it. What we grasped was that the rocking chair and its whole set were built in monasteries by hand and that’s why it was quite expensive.

Another thing we notice was storage spaces in many unexpected places. Japanese homes are small so they are good at using space very efficiently and they don’t buy things in large quantity like the US. One would wonder there’s no market for Costco but there are two within one hour from here (it’s considered close enough here). We haven’t been there yet though.

We decided to keep Zey for the rest of August at home (about two weeks) and he was quite a good boy most of the times. During that time, we went to 100 yen store (equivalent to a dollar store) and I bought a few things there and got to see some landmarks on the way back. Zey was good at walking long distance without much complaints. What's more important is that he is a good brother to Khin, sharing his toys and food (most of the times) and letting her pull his hair or bonk him. Khin was able to sit up for a long time if she could lean against something, so we kept her on the couch and she sat there until she got bored. Then she would slide down or start becoming fussy. There are many photos of us at playgrounds, from various walks and around our neighborhood.

In September, Zey started his daycare at the US Navy base.

It was almost one and 1/2 hours by bus and taxi each way if I am lucky. To spend over three hours each day was very frustrating. So I pushed Rob to buy the only car that was on sale from the US embassy community. After we bought it, I had to go and pay for the insurance for the MOFA to issue license plate, which was my first solo trip to Tokyo by train. It too us almost two weeks to get the license plate but I was so glad. On the way back from Tokyo, I stopped at Yokohama station and bought an electronic dictionary. I had to go back there the next day to make sure that I didn’t get the wrong thing. In any case, I got my dictionary and it was great.

Then one day, we got to tour the harbor. Everyone went there but I forgot to bring the camera. At that time, we didn’t have iphone either. So we got a few photos from others’ cameras and they were better than my usual pictures. 

Comments